The Transportation Alternatives (TA) Set-Aside program is designed to help expand transportation choices and enhance the transportation experience. Federal regulations define categories of eligible activities encompassing a variety of smaller-scale transportation projects such as pedestrian and bicycle facilities, recreational trails, safe routes to school projects, community improvements such as historic preservation and vegetation management, and environmental mitigation related to storm water and habitat connectivity. With the passage of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, the TA Set-Aside program replaced the similar Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP).
2016 Program Solicitation
The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) has requested that the CRCOG solicit for, select, and prioritize new projects for 2016 through 2020 funding under the TA Set-Aside Program. Additionally, CTDOT has asked the CRCOG to add specific existing projects to their respective solicitations in order to meet the competitive selection process regulation. Per the following request for proposals and related documents, CRCOG is soliciting applications for new projects to be funded utilizing the TA Set-Aside funding:
- CRCOG TA Set-Aside Program Request for Proposals
- CTDOT TA Set-Aside Program Application
- CRCOG 2016 Solicitation Guidance
- CRCOG 2016 Solicitation Guidance – Additional Clarification
- CRCOG 2016 Cost Estimating Template
- CTDOT 2016 Cost Estimating Guidelines
To apply for the TA Set-Aside program funds please complete and send the following materials to Ms. Jennifer Carrier, CRCOG director of Transportation Planning by 4:00 pm on Tuesday, November 8th, 2016:
- Three (3) completed and signed hardcopies of the TA Set-Aside Program Application
- Three (3) completed hardcopies of any additional supplemental materials required for the application (cost estimate, location map, concept plan, etc.).
- One (1) digital file of the electronically completed TA Set-Aside Program Application (in original file format with functioning form fields), and .pdfs of other provided supplemental documents
2011 Program Solicitation
In October 2011, CRCOG issued a request for STP-Enhancement proposals for projects to be funded with Federal Fiscal Year 2013 through 2016 funds. All interested agencies were requested to submit project applications by December 2011. In February 2012, as a result of the solicitation, three proposals representing projects from Bloomfield, Manchester and Rocky Hill were submitted to CTDOT for funding. With the passage of the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21) federal transportation bill the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) replaced the STP-Enhancement program, and the selected projects that advanced were scheduled to utilize TAP funding.
Contact Rob Aloise for more information on the TA Set-Aside Program.