RED PLAN TABLE TOP EXERCISES
Understanding applicable emergency plans is critical to successful emergency management. RED Plan orientation, updates and training are conducted at CREPC meetings and awareness training on the RED Plan is available to any Region 3 jurisdiction as described above. To ensure the RED Plan is understood, a Table Top Exercise designed specifically for the local community is also useful. These exercises are designed to stress local resources to the point they cannot meet the requirements of the emergency situation. The solution for local emergency response officials is to call the Regional Incident Coordination System, RICS, to make notification that the RED Plan is required. Actual notification is made during table top exercises to allow participants to witness first hand the notification and activation process. This training process builds a high level of regional understanding and an effective response mechanism for emergencies beyond the capability of local resources, thereby increasing public safety on a regional basis.
The RED (Regional Emergency Deployment) Plan is the Connecticut Department of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (DEMHS) Region 3 plan that provides resources to local Incident Commanders when a situation requires more resources than are available locally. The Capitol Region Emergency Planning Committee (CREPC) recognized the importance of proper all-hazard planning and developed the RED Plan shortly after the events of September 11, 2001. Training is available at the Awareness Level, and also via Table Top Exercises to help Region 3 jurisdictions understand how to get resources.
RED PLAN AWARENESS TRAINING
Awareness training on the RED Plan is available via classroom DVD or on-line DVD. Local jurisdictions can complete RED Plan training using either method. Successful course completion for either method requires attaining a score of 70% or greater on a post training assessment (exam). CREPC maintains records on those completing this RED Plan training to ensure regional understanding and assess progress. For most first responders, this awareness level training is all that is required.
NOTE: Viewers should have copies of the same references as noted under classroom training if they are not familiar with the RED Plan.
- Log in to TRAIN Connecticut (New users can go to https://ct.train.org/DesktopShell.aspx and select “Create Account”.)
- Enroll in “RED Plan Training – On-Line Version” and view video
- Locate course by entering Course ID 1011508 into “Search by Course ID” located on the right side of the Home Page. (NOTE: There are several methods to locate the course, but when the ID is known it is the easiest.)
- Register for the class by selecting the Registration tab, and view the video by selecting “Launch”.
- View the RED Plan training video.
- Complete Post Assessment.
- Return to TRAIN Connecticut Home Page.
- Select “My Learning” on the right hand side.
- Change the status of RED Plan Training to Completed by clicking on the “M” under “Manage”.
- When you select this option TRAIN will direct you to the Post Assessment (exam).
- Follow the on screen instructions to complete the exam.
To complete the awareness level training in a classroom environment, you will need the following:
- RED Plan Training Video (See On-line Training on this page).
- RED Plan Exam (updated 2/19/08)
- RED Plan Exam answer sheets
In addition, you should review, or have available, the following documents:
- RED Plan
- Key Terms
- RED Plan Activation Worksheet
- Commander’s Guide to Activating the RED Plan
NOTE: The video explains the needed information in enough detail that actual copies are not normally needed. However, if the viewer(s) is/are not familiar with the documents it is valuable to look at them to become familiar.
The recommended process for completing classroom RED Plan awareness level classroom training is to
- Print out copies of the RED Plan Exam and RED Plan Exam Answer Sheet for each individual completing the training.
- Print out or have available adequate reference copies of the RED Plan, Key Terms, RED Plan Activation Worksheet and Incident Commander’s Guide to Activating the RED Plan for class reference.
- View the RED Plan Training Video.
- Complete the RED Plan Exam by circling the correct answers on the exam.
- Complete the RED Plan Exam Answer Sheet,
- Forward only the Answer Sheet to the Training Coordinator for processing. (NOTE: The RED Plan exam may be completed on-line also via TRAIN Connecticut using Course ID 1011120.)
Keep the exam with circled answers as a reference and forward only the answer sheet. The Training Coordinator will provide feedback on your exam results to ensure any misunderstandings are cleared up.