PROFESSIONAL ANNOUNCEMENT – Executive Director, Capitol Region Council of Governments, CT
As the largest of Connecticut’s regional planning organizations, the Capitol Region Council of Governments (CRCOG) is known for its progressive and collaborative approach to delivering services to its members. The organization seeking a forward-thinking, inclusive and aspirational leader to become its next Executive Director. The CRCOG region is 1,047 square miles in size, houses approximately 973,959 people, residing in 38 member communities.
As a Council of Government (COG), CRCOG’s Policy Board consists of all the chief elected officials of each of its members. As the central city, by statute Hartford has two additional members on the CRCOG Policy Board. The CRCOG Policy Board meets monthly except in July and August when a summer recess is observed. The Policy Board is responsible for major policy issues and decisions and setting CRCOG’s direction. CRCOG’s Policy Board also serves as the MPO board with the addition of a member from Greater Hartford Transit District for MPO matters only.
CRCOG’s Executive Committee consists of 19 members consisting of five officers (Chair, First Vice-Chair, Second Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer) and an additional 14 members and meets once every two months. CRCOG Executive Committee may act on behalf of the full Policy Board.
CRCOG is divided into four major functions: Planning, Public Safety and Homeland Security, Municipal Services, and Administration and Finance. CRCOG is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and is the statutory regional planning agency for all of its members. In addition, CRCOG also is the regional administrator for the state’s Department of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (DEMHS) Region 3 which encompasses 41 towns (most of which are the same as the CRCOG membership). Finally, CRCOG maintains a robust Municipal Services which serves its membership as well as other municipalities within Connecticut who wish to become members.
The CRCOG employs 25 staff members and engages contractors to complete its work. In addition to the 38 member communities, there are 95 communities that are part of the cooperative purchasing arrangement that is administered through CRCOG. There are four Departments: Administration and Finance; Municipal Services; Planning (Community Development and Transportation); and Public Safety/Homeland Security.
The successful candidate will have a combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the work, including the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Public Policy, Political Science, Business Administration or a related field, plus 10 years of increasingly responsible supervisory and management experience in the public or private sector. Substantial public sector experience at the local and/or regional level is highly desirable. A Master’s degree in Public Administration or related field is strongly preferred or any combination of education and experience that would demonstrate the ability to perform the work.
- Ability to work with the Executive Committee and the Policy Board and a demonstrated skill in keeping a committee informed and in providing advice, support and recommendations as requested when policy discussions are occurring, and decisions are being made.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships and interact with elected officials, senior staff, boards or commissions, employee representatives in a positive and professional manner is required. A demonstrated passion to engage and work with others in a professional and respectful manner is required.
- Excellent problem solving and financial skills, including budget preparation, purchasing, contract and grants administration, insurance and risk management skills.
- Substantial knowledge of intergovernmental relations, and the legislative process.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to vary communications style depending upon the audience. An understanding of what it means to be politically savvy, without being political.
- Excellent verbal, writing, and social media communication skills including the ability to clearly present concepts, explain operations and finances and respond to controversies and day to day matters.
- Strong supervisory and team building skills with demonstrable experience in leading through subordinates, assigning projects with timelines and clear expectations, and holding staff accountable for effective implementation.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, with a record of handling a wide variety of projects at one time and with the ability to be nimble in changing course or direction.
- It is highly desirable for the successful candidate to reside in the CRCOG region within a reasonable amount of time after employment commences.
Starting Salary for the position is $150,000 to $180,000 +/- DOQ. Annual increases will be based on performance. Attractive benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, defined contribution pension, 457 plan, and upwards of 4 weeks of paid leave per year are examples of the total compensation package to be offered.
Submit cover letter, résumé, a 1-to-6-page writing sample, and contact information for five professional references by September 13, 2021, online to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA, LLC – www.GovHRjobs.com. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA at 847-380-3238. CRCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Brochure Coming Soon
Posted:Jul 22, 2021