FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Hartford, August, 19, 2021 – The Capitol Region Council of Governments (CRCOG), guided by the chief elected officials of our 38 member municipalities, have issued a letter to the governor asking for a statewide mask mandate.
Along with the Southeastern Connecticut Council of Governments (SCCOG), CRCOG and SCCOG’s mayors, first selectmen, and town council chairmen who make up our respective boards will convene a virtual press conference at 10:00 am on Friday, August 20, 2021 to reiterate to the governor the request for a statewide indoor mask mandate. The press conference also aims to discuss how an indoor mask mandate can aid leaders in our communities in proactively containing the spread of the coronavirus amidst the surge of COVID-19 cases and deaths, as well as Delta Variant infections.
The Zoom login is as follows: [this conference has passed].
Our recommendation is consistent with the updated guidance of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued on July 27, which encourages people who live in high-transmission communities to wear masks in indoor public places, even if they are vaccinated. The CDC considers all of Connecticut’s eight counties in “substantial” or “high” transmission rates.
The virtual press conference will feature:
- Marcia Leclerc, Mayor of East Hartford and Chair of CRCOG
- Michael Urgo, First Selectman of North Stonington and Vice Chair of SCCOG
CRCOG and SCCOG strongly urges the region and its residents to comply with minor inconvenience during the unprecedented public health crisis. While wearing a mask indoors might be an inconvenience or uncomfortable, it can help prevent the transmission of the coronavirus and thus save lives.
Many of CRCOG and SCCOG’s municipalities have passed or are planning on passing mask mandates. CRCOG and SCCOG urge the governor to act on a statewide level. The virus does not respect town or regional boundaries.
A copy of the letter to the governor from CRCOG can be found here.
A copy of this press release can be found here.
The Capitol Region Council of Governments (CRCOG) is a voluntary Council of Governments formed to initiate and implement regional programs of benefit to the towns and the region. It is guided by the chief elected officials of our 38 Metro Hartford municipalities. The mayors, first selectmen, and town council chairmen who make up our governing Policy Board recognize that the future of our individual members is tied to the future of our region.
Our members have collaborated for more than 50 years on a wide range of projects to benefit our towns individually and the region as a whole. CRCOG serves the Capitol Region and all our municipalities by:
- Helping members improve governmental efficiency and save tax dollars through shared services and other direct service initiatives;
- Promoting efficient transportation systems, responsible land use and preservation of land and natural resources and effective economic development;
- Strengthening the Capitol City of Hartford as the core of a strong region, and as our economic, social and cultural center;
- Advocating for the region and its towns with the State and Federal governments;
- Strengthening our regional community by helping coordinate regional agencies and programs;
- And assisting local governments and citizens in articulating, advocating and implementing the vision, needs, and values of their regional community.