Come join our team! The Capitol Region Council of Governments is seeking qualified candidates to serve as a Per Diem Building Official or Assistant Building Official.
Many CRCOG member communities have a need for building officials or assistant building officials on a temporary basis. The overall management of the position will be located at CRCOG. For day-to-day assignments this position will report to the designated official within the assigned communities. The incumbent will exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment within an assigned area of responsibility, and work is subject to evaluation on the basis of results obtained.
This is a Per Diem position based upon the needs of our municipalities.
The position would perform various aspects of the inspection process for commercial & residential construction, as requested by participating CRCOG communities.
The successful candidate will be licensed by the State of Connecticut as a Building Official or Assistant Building Official and must maintain a valid CT Driver’s License. In addition, the successful candidate will have a high school diploma or GED equivalent, a minimum of two years serving as a Building Official or Assistant Building Official, and an additional 3 years of experience in the building construction or design as a supervisor, foreman, or journeyman.
Other desirable knowledge skills and abilities include:
- Considerable knowledge of CT State Building Code, approved methods, materials and practices, necessary safeguards of the following fields: general building construction of structures; plumbing, including sprinkler systems; heating / air conditioning / ventilation systems and electrical systems.
- Ability to detect and locate defective installation and repair in the assigned field and to recommend corrective measures.
- Ability to read and understand construction plans and blueprints for Code compliance.
- Ability to consult with property owners, contractors, craftsmen and the public and to establish and maintain effective work relations with them.
- Ability to prepare reports covering inspections made and issue Certificate of Occupancy or Approval upon project completion
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Experience with on-line permitting systems.
The Capitol Region Council of Governments (CRCOG) is a voluntary Council of Governments formed to initiate and implement regional programs to benefit its member towns and the region. It is guided by the chief elected officials of our 38 Metro Hartford municipalities who recognize that the future of our individual members is tied to the future of our region. CRCOG is the largest of Connecticut’s nine regional planning organizations with a population of 976,248 and serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Metro Hartford area. The CRCOG region is well-situated between New York City and Boston, and is rich in diversity, history, and natural resources. CRCOG’s team of professional staff work to promote responsible land use, sustainable transportation systems, economic vitality, and quality of life. The organization also advocates for its capital city and member towns and provides various shared services to facilitate governmental efficiency. For more information regarding CRCOG, please visit our website at www.CRCOG.org.
$40 to $55 per hour. The salary is dependent on qualifications. This is a per diem / hourly position.
How to Apply
Please address your resume and a cover letter to Ms. Cheryl Assis, Director of Public Safety and Homeland Security. Electronic submissions are preferred and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject of the email titled ‘Per Diem Building Official.” First review of resumes will be conducted on June 5, and the position will remain open until filled.
CRCOG is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.