Summary of Position
CRCOG is seeking a qualified professional to perform a variety of planning activities within the Community Development branch of the Planning Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
General duties include providing expert planning, research, and policy analysis for the greater Hartford region in the areas of transportation, land use, housing, community development and environmental planning/sustainability.
Incumbents at this level provide specialized knowledge and expertise and/or assist with the management of large projects with supervision. The position will require collaboratively working with others.
Typical assignments may include (but are not limited to) assisting with managing large scope projects; reviewing zoning and subdivision proposals occurring along town boundaries; reviewing municipal plans of conservation and development; providing expertise to various committees as assigned; and assisting in preparing and reviewing grant proposals, applications, and budgets for various funding sources. Incumbents exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment within an assigned area of responsibility, and work is subject to evaluation on the basis of results obtained.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Principles and practices of regional planning including transportation, land use and environmental planning/sustainability
- Research methods and analysis
- Public policy process and advocacy
- Project development, implementation, and management
- Computer equipment and advanced uses of word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, database and other software
- Geographic Information Systems
- Research and analyze various factors involved in regional planning.
- Operate computers and word processing software and other standard office equipment.
- Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing.
- Speak in a public forum providing information and answering questions.
- Prepare clear, accurate records and reports.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings.
- Establish and maintain highly effective working relationships with managers, elected and appointed officials, staff, community and business leaders, the media, and others encountered during work.
- Organize, coordinate, and prioritize multiple project assignments.
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously and use good judgment in prioritizing work assignments.
Maintain effectiveness under pressure of variable time constraints and deadlines.
Minimum Training and Experience
A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in planning, public policy, political science, or a closely related field. No formal professional job experience is required, however experience, training and/or demonstrated interest within the Planning field is preferred.
Licenses and Certifications
May need a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
The Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting. This position is currently hybrid.
Travel and Weekend or Evening Meetings
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out of the area travel and overnight may be expected for conferences and seminars. Work may require some evening and weekend meetings.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of functions, activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Functions, duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
It is the policy of the CRCOG to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the CRCOG will provide reasonable accommodations, that do not present an undue hardship, for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Please address your resume and a cover letter to Ms. Cheryl Assis Director of Public Safety and Homeland Security. Electronic submissions are preferred and should be sent to email@example.com, with the subject of the email ‘Community Development Planner.’ If submitting via postal mail, transmit to CRCOG, 241 Main Street; 4th Floor, Hartford, CT 06106. Resumes should be received by May 9, 2022, but the position will remain open until filled..