The purpose of the West Hartford Road Diet and Safety Study was to explore the potential of improving the bicycle and pedestrian environment and exploring opportunities for increasing safety on 1.8 miles of North Main Street from Bishops Corner to the West Hartford Center. Various options were developed and tested through a transparent and highly interactive community outreach approach that is informed by current transportation engineering and planning state of the practice.
The study was guided by a Technical Study Committee made up of residents, business representatives, neighborhood associations (Bishop’s Corner), local institutions such as the American School for the Deaf, town staff and the West Hartford Bicycle Advisory Committee.
Public Involvement Process
Seeking public input on the development and refinement of options for implementing a road diet on North Main Street was a very important part of this study. In October of 2015, a three day public workshop was held at the American School for the Deaf which featured two formal public presentations on existing conditions and potential alternatives for North Main Street. An online public survey was conducted during the time of the workshop and stayed open for several weeks after that to collect comments from the members of the public.
On June 28, 2016, a final public meeting was held at the American School for the Deaf to present the Draft Executive Summary to the Technical Study Committee and members of the public. Comments received at that meeting as well as all other public input such as survey results and emailed comments have been documented in the Appendix to the Executive Summary.
West Hartford Road Diet and Safety Study in the News
- West Hartford Road Diet Study CRCOG Press Release, August 19, 2015
- CRCOG Launches Safety Study for Bishop’s Corner to town center, West Hartford News, August 26, 2015
- West Hartford Exploring ‘Road Diet’ For North Main Street, WeHa.Com, October 14, 2015
- North Main Street Study in West Hartford Seeks to Calm Traffic, The Hartford Courant, October 17, 2015
- West Hartford Considers Road Diet for North Main Street, The Hartford Courant, July 3, 2016
- West Hartford Bicycle Master Plan
- West Hartford Complete Streets Policy, 2015
- Road Diet Fact Sheet, Federal Highway Administration
Final Study Work Products
Technical Study Committee
Meeting 1 – September 1, 2015
Meeting 2 – October 13, 2015
- (Conducted as Part of the Public Workshop)
Meeting 3 – November 20, 2015
Meeting 4 – June 28, 2016
Questions? Contact Tim Malone, Community Development Deputy, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 860 724 4221.